Trying to find the right pair of headphones is a lot like finding the perfect pair of shoes: you want them to be comfortable and fit well. For example, when searching for noise-canceling headphones, you want something that eliminates any noise while doing its job well.
After trying and testing several different pairs of headphones, we’ve concluded that the best headphones for hip hop are the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x. These are professional monitor closed-back headphones. They give you an accurate frequency response that works well for more than just hip hop, but DJing, mixing, and recording as well.
We’re recommending the Audio Technica ATH M50x headphones because they give you excellent isolation with minimal bleeding. The swivel ear cups and soft earpads are perfect for when you’re spending long hours in the studio. The Audio Technica ATH M50x headphones are easy to store thanks to their collapsible design! Most importantly, the Audio Technica ATH headphones are wonderful because of the clarity, detail, and bass that they deliver.
Suppose you’re searching for the best hip-hop headphones. In that case, you’re probably looking for a pair that serves multiple purposes, such as listening, mixing, recording while also being comfortable as well. In that case, we’d recommend the No products found. or the No products found. Sony WHCH700N. Both pairs are comfortable and come with incredible noise cancellation features that provide you with the perfect music experience. These headphones are also priced between $99 and $198, which means that they are high quality and affordable.
You’re reading this article because you have been hunting for the best headphones for hip hop. If you’ve been looking for the best headphones that have excellent battery life, are noise canceling, with comfortable ear cups and excellent sound quality, then you’re in the right place.
We’ll take you through a list of the top ten best headphones for hip hop in this guide. We’ll give you a detailed description of each pair while breaking the pros, cons, and specifications of each! We’ll also guide you through what to look for when buying a pair of headphones for hip hop, so please keep reading for more information!
The Top 10 Best Headphones for Hip Hop
- No products found.
- No products found.
- No products found.
- No products found.
- No products found.
- No products found.
- No products found.
- Anker Soundcore Life Q20 Hybrid Active Noise Cancelling Headphones
- Sennheiser HD 280 Pro Closed-Back Studio and Live Monitoring Headphones
- No products found.
1. Audio-Technica ATH-M50x
There is so much to love about these headphones, which is why we’ve listed them as number one! They are closed-back headphones with 45mm neodymium-magnet drivers that give you an excellent frequency response when listening to hip-hop or recording and mixing in the studio, or even when DJing!
Let’s have a look at the specifics of these headphones.
- They have a frequency response of 15-28Hz.
- They are tuned for accuracy and flat responses across the full frequency range.
- They are built with 90-degree swiveling earcups.
- They come with 3 detachable cables: 3.9’–9.8′ coiled cable, 3.9′ straight cable, and 9.8′ straight cable.
- They are also sold with a carrying pouch and a 1.4” screw-on adaptor.
- Ideal for listening to hip-hop.
- They cancel noise effectively.
2. No products found.
No products found.
The first item on our list is the Beats Solo Pro wireless headphones. These durable and minimalist headphones are perfect for hip hop, thanks to their excellent sound quality and comfortable design. They are also ideal as entry-level headphones for those of you searching for headphones with good sound quality.
Let’s take a look at the features and specifications.
- These are Active Noise Canceling (ANC) headphones that eliminate any external noise.
- These are on-ear headphones.
- They are wireless.
- You can listen to hip hop for up to 20 hours, and this period can undoubtedly be extended to 40 hours if you turn the ANC and transparency settings off.
- These headphones are compatible with iOS and Android.
- They also feature the Apple H1 Headphone chip.
- They are built with class 1 Bluetooth, which means that there is an extended frequency range and there are fewer dropouts.
- If you’re running out of battery, all you have to do is charge the headphones for only ten minutes, and you’ll get 3 hours of playback.
- The headphones switch on or off automatically when you fold or unfold them.
- They are lightweight.
- They are easily foldable and transportable.
- The bass performance is powerful, which makes them ideal for hip hop.
- They could be more affordable.
3. No products found.No products found.
Next up is another one of the best hip-hop headphones! The Beyerdynamic Custom One Plus Pro headphones are some of the best pairs in the industry. We’re recommending these headphones for hip hop because of how clear the bassline is and the sound quality that allows you to hear your music exceptionally well.
These headphones are manufactured in Germany with materials that are designed for comfort and durability. It’s shocking how well-designed these headphones are! The audio quality is more accurate than many of the other headphones that we tested out, and the frequency response is off the charts.
Let’s look more closely at the various features of these hip-hop headphones.
- These headphones have a frequency response of 10-24,000 Hz.
- There is a custom adjustable sound slider that makes the bassline deeper.
- The sound slider allows you to change the sound anytime, which means you can switch between flat and transparent sounds or deep bass sounds.
- You can customize the appearance of these headphones, thanks to the 16 changeable cover designs that Beyerdynamic offers.
- You can also opt for a Custom Headset. This means that you can quickly convert the headphones into a professional headset, especially since each pair comes with a spiral cable that extends up to three meters.
- The headphones come with variable noise reduction, which means that they reduce ambient noise.
- These headphones are incredibly comfortable.
- They are built to last.
- They are durable.
- The bass is incredible.
- They are very customizable.
- The overall design is quite bulky.
- These headphones do not have much volume control.
4. No products found.No products found.
Next up on our list is the Bose Soundlink around-ear headphones! As hip-hop fans ourselves, we thought these headphones were a dream come true after testing other pairs that didn’t make the cut. Bose is one the best brands for headphones globally, and these SoundLink around-ear wireless headphones are an example of that.
If you’ve been looking for headphones that give you studio-level audio quality, then these headphones are definitely for you. It’s important to note that they are more pricey than other hip-hop headphones.
Let’s look at the features and specifications of these headphones!
- These headphones were built with the latest bluetooth technology that allows you to connect quickly and sync with audio and video.
- The bluetooth connectivity lasts for over 15 hours.
- The headphones come with a rechargeable lithium-ion battery.
- They come with an improved Active EQ that helps you customize your audio experience.
- The connectivity technology that Bose uses is WiredWireless.
- You can switch between two bluetooth devices so that you can stay connected to your smartphone.
- Each pair is sold with a protective case.
- These headphones come with a microphone.
- These headphones have perfect battery life.
- These headphones are ideal for music lovers and enthusiasts, thanks to the intense bass.
- The microphone quality is exceptionally high with these headphones.
- Their size is small and easy to carry.
- The price is more high-end than some other pairs.
- The headband is not comfortable.
- These headphones lack proper noise isolation.
- There is a large amount of sound leakage with these headphones.
5. No products found.No products found.
Next up on our list is the V-MODA Crossfade over-ear headphones! We’re recommending them because they indeed are one of the best headphones for hip-hop music. While they are on the more expensive side at a higher price point, we’re here to tell you that you won’t regret paying a little extra for these headphones.
They bring hip-hop music to life while remaining chic and aesthetically pleasing to look at. If you’ve wanted the strong bass in hip-hop to come alive in your headphones, you needn’t look any further!
Let’s take a look at the product’s features.
- These are over-the-ear metal headphones that work well for hip-hop music.
- They can be folded easily.
- In addition to playing hip-hop music well, these headphones are incredibly versatile in that they work well for DJs, gamers, musicians, and even techies!
- Each pair of V-MODA Crossfade headphones comes with 50mm dual-diaphragm drivers. These contain inner and outer rings that separate the bass from seeping into the highs and mids.
- These headphones also come with an immersive 3D soundstage, giving you the experience of listening to live hip-hop performances. You will be treated to clear bass and vocals.
- They have a frequency response of 5-30,000Hz.
- The earpads are ergonomically designed to provide you with comfort and noise isolation when listening to music.
- The headband is made from vegan leather.
- They are sold with detachable cables.
- Resistant to high and low temperatures, humidity, and UV exposure.
- Extremely foldable and sold with a form-fitting exoskeleton case.
- They are customizable.
- They are lightweight.
- They provide fantastic sound and are good bass headphones.
- They are much more expensive and more high-end than other hip-hop headphones.
6. No products found.No products found.
One of the best parts of any hip-hop song is the deep bass that makes you feel like you’re immersed in the music. The only problem is finding the right pair of headphones that gives you that solid bass is hard, until now! The Skullcandy Crusher Wireless headphones are over-ear headphones that provide your ears the experience of listening to a live performance right from your bedroom.
If you’re a hip-hop enthusiast, the chances are that you’re already familiar with Skullcandy, a brand noted for bringing out the deep bass with its headphones. Along with wireless technology and a battery that lasts for several hours at a time, there isn’t much to find fault with.
Let’s look at the features of these headphones.
- The battery lasts for 40 hours at a time.
- You can Rapid Charge these headphones for 10 minutes to get more than 3 hours of battery life!
- Every pair is built with adjustable sensory bass.
- These Skullcandy headphones come with a built-in microphone, along with buttons on the side of the ear cups to answer calls.
- They require one lithium metal battery.
- These headphones were built with hip-hop enthusiasts in mind.
- The battery life lasts for almost two days, which means you don’t need to worry about rechargeable batteries constantly.
- They are good-quality bass headphones with a comfortable fit.
- The earpads could be bigger and more comfortable.
- The call answering button is difficult to get used to.
7. No products found.No products found.
At this point, we’re halfway through our list of hip-hop headphones. The next pair on our list is the Sony WHCH700N. Sony combines all the features that you’d want in an ideal pair of headphones and puts them together in this model. In addition to the noise-canceling part, they are also sturdily built and long-lasting.
Let’s take a look at the features.
- The noise-canceling feature eliminates background and ambient noise.
- They are AI-powered, which means that all you have to do is hold the NC button, and all background sounds are removed.
- They come with an in-built microphone that allows you to make and take calls and access your voice assistant.
- The battery lasts for over 35 hours. Additionally, you can also Quick Charge the headphones in 10 minutes for 3 hours of battery life.
- They are voice assistant compatible with Alexa.
- They come with 40mm drivers.
- They have long battery life.
- They have intense noise-canceling features.
- The padding on the headband makes them very comfortable to wear for long periods.
- They are not the most affordable pair of headphones for the given price point.
8. No products found.No products found.
The next pair of headphones on our list is perfect for hip-hop lovers on a budget. These headphones are durable, affordable, and comfortable; what more could anyone want? The Koss Porta Pro on-ear headphones are a tremendous beginner-level pair to buy when you’re new to the world of musical products.
Let’s have a look at the features of the Koss Porta Pro headphones!
- They come with adjustable temporal pads designed to relieve pressure on the ears.
- They are built with lightweight cushions that eliminate ambient noise while also hearing and remaining aware of what’s happening around you.
- They come with a four-foot-long cable.
- They are easily collapsible.
- They are built with oxygen-free copper coils that provide you with deeper bass.
- The headband is adjustable as well.
- They are sold at an affordable price.
- They come with a long cable.
- They are lightweight and easy to transport.
- They are very comfortable.
- The materials used to build these headphones are low-quality.
9. Anker Soundcore Life Q20 Hybrid Active Noise Cancelling Headphones
We’re nearing the end of our list, but unfortunately, all good things must come to an end. One of the last hip-hop headphones is the Anker Soundcore Life Q20 noise-canceling headphones. If you’re on a budget but still want to purchase a pair of bluetooth headphones, then you won’t have to look much harder!
Here’s a rundown of the specifications.
- They remove over 90% of ambient noise.
- The hybrid noise cancelation feature detects and removes a wide range of mid and low frequencies.
- The battery lasts for over 40 hours of non-stop playing.
- The bass is 100% stronger on hip-hop and EDM songs.
- The price of these headphones is more affordable than other models in the market.
- They are easily foldable.
- The bluetooth range is incredible.
- Powerful battery life.
- They are very comfortable.
- The noise cancelation is not very strong because voices can cut through the noise cancelation.
10. Sennheiser HD 280 Pro Closed-Back Studio and Live Monitoring Headphones
We’re almost at the last pair of headphones, so we thought that we’d finish strong with the Sennheiser HD closed-back studio and live monitoring headphones. Recording professionals love these headphones because of how comfortable and reliable they are! They’re great for more than just hip-hop too. If you’ve been wanting to improve your critical listening but couldn’t find an affordable pair of headphones, we’ve got you covered.
- They are made with thick ear cups.
- Their linear frequency response helps with accuracy and detail when listening to hip-hop or mixing in a studio.
- The ear cups are replaceable.
- It is sold with an adapter so that you can use both ¼” and ⅛” jacks.
- They have a frequency response of 8-25Hz.
- Perfect for listening to music and for working in a studio.
- They fit comfortably.
- They are more affordable than other headphone brands.
- They are long-lasting.
- The noise-cancellation feature is excellent.
- It might be more expensive for people on a budget.
11. No products found.No products found.
We’ve reached the end of our list, and what better way to close than with the Meidong E7B noise-canceling headphones? This last pair of headphones is the most affordable pair on our list, and we were pleasantly surprised by how much Meidong offers for such a small amount of money.
Let’s have a look.
- They offer a powerful noise-canceling feature.
- The earpads are made from memory foam.
- They are lightweight.
- The headband is nicely padded.
- They are bluetooth headphones.
- The battery life lasts for over 30 hours.
- A quick 15-minute charge gives you an additional 2.5 hours of use.
- Long-lasting battery life.
- Lightweight body.
- Powerful Bluetooth.
- The control buttons are poorly placed.
Buying Guide for Hip-Hop Headphones
Here’s a list of what to look for when buying a pair of headphones as a hip-hop enthusiast:
- The kind of headphones you want to buy
- Size and comfort
- Sound quality and ear protection
- Closed-back headphones or open-back headphones
- Do not focus on the aesthetics of the headphones.
The kind of headphones you want to buy
When you set out to buy a pair of headphones, you first need to figure out what kind of headphones you want. Headphones cover a wide range of options, and they come in various sizes, shapes, and types. For example, do you want wireless headphones or over-the-ear headphones? Do you want on-ear headphones or wireless earbuds that fit snugly inside your ears?
Do your research before purchasing a pair of headphones to try and assess which style and type best suits your needs. Are you buying headphones that work well when you go running and when you’re listening to music at home? Are you buying headphones for a specific task? Make a list and figure out what your needs are, and then, if possible, try out different options to see which pairs are most comfortable for you.
When buying headphones online, we’d definitely recommend reading the reviews beforehand to gauge whether a pair is right for you.
Size and comfort
Once you’ve decided on a pair that seems like it would suit you, remember that comfort is a crucial factor that you must consider. As a hip-hop enthusiast, music producer, or recording artist, you’re probably using headphones all the time. At the same time, you might be a beginner getting introduced to the world of headphones and audio paraphernalia.
In that case, the most important thing to do is test out the headphones to see how comfortably they fit on or inside your ears. Make sure that they’re the right size for you as well because you don’t want to spend too much time using expensive headphones that hurt your ears.
The ear cups should sit comfortably on your ears if you choose over-ear headphones. If they are too big, they could cause your ears to sweat. If they are too small, they might cause your ears to start hurting. They should be the right size for you, and they should be adjustable as well. Additionally, try and purchase a pair of headphones with a flexible and padded headband. If the headband is too short, it might sit too tightly atop your head, and if it isn’t padded enough, your head could start to hurt.
Sound quality and ear protection
When buying headphones for hip-hop, you want to make sure that the audio quality is high and that the bass is strong and audible. If the audio quality is low, you might harm your hearing and your eardrums in the long run.
Closed-back headphones or open-back headphones
The difference between closed and open-back headphones is that closed-back headphones work better when listening to music in a studio or outside of a closed room, while open-back headphones give off a more natural sound.
A pair of closed-back headphones have an outer casing without holes. This causes the sound to remain trapped while preventing external noise from seeping in. Thanks to the isolation qualities of closed-back headphones, the basslines sound more alive. These headphones are perfect for studio sessions, recording, and mixing.
Open-back headphones, on the other hand, allow you to hear external sounds. This means that a lot of sound leaks, and it takes your focus away from the music.
Since we’ve been recommending headphones for hip-hop, we’d highly recommend choosing a pair of closed-back headphones to enhance your listening experience. Closed-back headphones isolate and improve your overall listening experience.
Do not focus on the aesthetics of the headphones
A pair of attractive headphones might make you look very fashionable and cool when you’re out in public, but it’s important to remember that you don’t want to be uncomfortable and in pain when using a pair of headphones.
If a pair of headphones is aesthetically pleasing, comfortable, and has impressive sound quality, it is only then that you purchase them. Don’t let yourself get swayed by the visual aspects of the headphones, but remember to focus on function first.
Frequently asked questions
What are the best headphones for hip-hop?
The best headphones for hip-hop are the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x. They were built with outstanding sound isolation qualities, and they provide you with brilliant clarity, thanks to their extended frequency range.
What headphones do rappers use?
Rappers use the Shure AONIC 50 Wireless Noise-Cancelling Headphones and the Beats Studio3 Wireless Noise Cancelling Over-Ear Headphones.
Are bass-heavy headphones the best for hip-hop and rap?
Yes, they are. This is because a strong bassline is often at the core of rap and hip-hop music, and so when you purchase a pair of headphones, make sure that it works well to enhance the sounds of these two genres.
When choosing a pair of the best headphones for hip-hop music, you want to make sure that you’ve chosen the best possible pair of headphones to enhance your listening experience and the quality of the songs you listen to. We’d advise you to think about purchasing headphones the way you would think about investing in something. Make sure that whichever pair you choose lasts long and is worth the price you paid.
We’ve taken you through a list of the top ten best headphones for hip-hop, and we’d highly recommend the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x as our best overall pair. However, we also understand that you may not want a pair of headphones that cater to hip-hop listeners only. In that case, we’d recommend that you look at our guide to buying some of the best headphones for drummers. We’d also recommend that you look at our review of SoundSport Wireless vs. Powerbeats3 Wireless headphones!