Electronic musical instruments and personal computers connect to MIDI keyboards to allow musicians to produce digital music tracks. These devices can also be used as music education tools for aspiring musicians. MIDI to universal serial bus (USB) cables are the primary pieces of hardware that allow MIDI keyboards to communicate with personal computers. Here are some of today’s best-selling MIDI to USB cables.
You can skip to the different MIDI cables by clicking the links below. Most of them are compatible with both Windows computers and Macs.
#1 SANOXY USB MIDI Cable
The SANOXY USB MIDI Cable connects nearly all types of MIDI keyboards to computers. The cable reliably transfers digital data that is used to produce music between keyboard and computer. The cable reads all signals from keyboards that are formatted using the MIDI technical standards for digital audio equipment. The USB cable has single input and single output connectors to a MIDI interface, and it supports 16 MIDI input channels and 16 MIDI output channels. The Sanoxy brand cable is manufactured in the United States, and it comes with a manufacturer’s warranty when it is purchased through authorized resellers. Most consumer reviews for the product state that the cable worked as described when it is properly connected to MIDI keyboard devices according to the cable installation instructions.
- Integrated drivers; no additional software installation required
- Low price point between $6.99 and $7.99 on Amazon.com
- Compatible with operating systems such as Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Mac OS
- Ample 78-inch cord between USB and MIDI ports
- Supports standard USB 2.0 connection
- Inexpensive cable
- Works as advertised with most MIDI keyboard and controller devices
- Easy to use
- Does not work with all MIDI keyboards such as the Yamaha YPT-300
- May not be compatible with the latest Windows operating systems
#2 VicTsing USB IN-OUT MIDI Cable
VicTsing MIDI to USB connector transfers audio data from a MIDI device to a personal computer. Music enthusiasts are then able to record, mix and edit music via computer. The cable supports a number of digital audio workstation computer programs, and it enables users who implement the right software to print sheet music of their recorded work. The VicTsing MIDI to USB cable comes with simple, step-by-step installation instructions that allow music producers to connect and use their devices within minutes.
- Entirely USB-powered cable; no additional adapter is required
- Inexpensive cable sells for $7.99 on Amazon.com
- Plug-and-play device requires no driver installation
- LED indicator light shows proper signal transfer between MIDI keyboard and personal computer
- 72-inch cable
- Compatible with Windows operating systems.
- Low price
- Works as advertised
- Some consumers cited durability issues with the cable
- Does not work with single MIDI port devices
- Not advertised to be compatible with Mac operating systems
#3 HDE USB to MIDI Cable
The HDE USB to MIDI Cable connects a standard MIDI controller to a computer to produce music nearly anywhere. The cable has single input and output connectors that attach to associated MIDI ports. It is completely powered through its USB connection to a personal computer and does not need an additional power source. The USB cable supports 16 input and output midi channels. It has a color-coded indicator light to show proper transfer of MIDI input and output signals.
- Lowest-priced MIDI to USB cables available; prices on Amazon.com range from $2.80 to $6.99
- Cable’s internal drivers install automatically
- Compatible with Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10 operating systems
- Great price
- Fast installation
- Cable only 60 inches in length
- High latency of data transfer can impair user experience in certain cases
- Cable may not be compatible with Mac operating systems
- Some consumers claim that the cable works with 64-bit systems, but it is only advertised to work with 32-bit systems
#4 iConnectivity mio 1-in 1-out USB to MIDI Interface
All types of musical instruments can be connected to MIDI keyboards, but the data that is produced must be transferred to a computer to edit and make digital recordings of the music. The iConnectivity mio USB to MIDI cable is an ideal option to make that necessary connection between MIDI controller device and personal computer. The cable comes with the standard single input and output connectors that attach to MIDI connection ports. Consumer reviews for the cable indicate complete satisfaction with the quality and performance of this mid-priced cable.
- High-quality, low-latency connection for MIDI output and input
- Compatible with nearly all Windows and Mac operating systems; specifically supports Windows XP service pack 3, Windows 8 and Mac operating systems of version 10.4 or higher
- Cable’s built-in drivers install automatically
- Moderately priced between $20.75 to $35.99 on Amazon.com
- Supports transfer of Sysex signals that are used with certain MIDI controllers such those manufactured by Yamaha.
- Cable’s length of 60 inches is short compared to competitor devices.
#5 Roland UM-ONE
The Roland UM-ONE MIDI to USB cable presents a simplified design that offers fast installation and seamless operation. The cable incorporates a USB connector and single input and output MIDI connectors. The MIDI to USB cable enables musicians to use their MIDI keyboards for live performances as well as studio-style music production.
- Patented Faster Processing Technology that decreases latency
- Cable powered by USB; no additional adapters are needed
- Device includes a data processing indicator light
- Generous length 78-inch cable
- Compatible with all types of Windows and Mac operating systems
- Works reliably with a variety of MIDI keyboard and controller devices
- Works with computing platforms such as iPads and tablets
- Excellent pre- and post-sale customer technical support
- Mid-priced device sold by Sweetwater for $39.99
- Must install provided drivers
#6 iConnectMIDI1 Lightning Version USB to MIDI Interface
The iConnectMIDI1 Lightning Version USB to MIDI cable allows musicians to connect a MIDI device to either a personal computer or a mobile device. This cable is the catalyst for music production on the go. It features a USB connector, single input and output MIDI connectors and a lightning connector that is used to transfer digital signals to Apple mobile devices.
- Cable includes integrated driver; requires no additional installation steps
- Cable is completely USB-powered when connected to a computer
- Charging adapter included when powering the cable for connection with mobile computing devices
- Greater functionality over standard MIDI to USB cables for a slightly higher price that ranges from $46.00 and $59.99
- Compatible with a variety of iOS, Windows and Mac operating systems
- Comparably short cable length of 60 inches
- Not compatible with non-Apple mobile devices such as Android tablets
#7 Yamaha UX16 USB-to-MIDI Interface
The Yamaha UX16 USB to MIDI cable enables communication between standard MIDI keyboards and personal computers that are equipped with USB 2.0 ports. The cable supports 16 input and output MIDI channels, and it is composed of single input and output MIDI connectors and a USB connector.
- Cable charged solely by USB bus; does not need additional power supply.
- Transfers digital signals between any MIDI-compliant device and a personal computer
- Reliably allows musicians to record, edit and print music from their personal computers
- Good quality product
- Works as advertised