Audio engineering is working on the recording, manipulation, mixing, and reproduction of sound. Audio engineering can be done to create synthetic music, record music, create podcasts, background noise for videos, and more. If you are interested in learning about Audio Engineering, it can be hard to take the time out of your day to go and attend classes. Instead, there are many options out there to help you with self-teaching.
Udemy.com is the hands-down best resource for self-learning on the web, especially when it comes to affordability. While there are some amazing professional courses out there, oftentimes they can cost thousands of dollars. Udemy delivers excellent learning resources, at a fraction of the cost, and gives you the ability to learn at your own pace. Once you pay for a course, it’s yours forever to watch when you make time for it.
For Pro Tools Training
Logic Pro Courses
- 8 Hours of course lectures
- Ableton Certified Trainer J. Anthony Allen
- Discount by bundling course 1,2 and 3
Pluralsight has some of the best reviewed courses online, and they offer a 10-day free trial for all new users.
The website carries a number of Audio Engineering and audio editing courses in a number for the most reputable DAWs. Their innovative online platform includes skill level assessment quizzes, called Pluralsight IQ. You are even able to curate your own curriculum pulling from multiple courses to set up a path toward your education goals.
Recommended Audio Engineering Courses
- Pro Tools All Courses — Free Trial
- Logic Pro X, Introduction to Logic Pro X — Free Trial
- Ableton Live, Introduction to Ableton Live 9 — Free Trial
Pricing: Free trials are available to all new users, and after that initial 10 days you have a few options. For personal plans, you have the option to start at $29 a month, $299 annually (saving 14%), or $449 annually for the premium plan. The premium plan includes everything in regular plus interactive courses, certification practice exams, and real-world practice projects.
Team options are priced per user and start at $579. As a team administrator, you are able to see reporting and analytics of the progress your team is making through advancing their skills. Enterprise team plans are priced at $779 per user and allow for more advanced reporting mechanisms.
- Course curation for a personalized learning curriculum
- Practice exams for premium users
- Skills IQ tests to gauge your progress and level of skill
- Mobile, TV, and offline access
Looking for fresh new sounds?
You’ll find a bunch in our sample pack marketplace.
Lynda.com offers a large variety of courses geared towards learning the audio engineering trade. You can choose to learn about audio engineering in general or learn about the specific types of software that are out there and available to do the job. The site has almost 200 courses specifically for learning about audio engineering, with courses for each level of user. They are technically owned by Linkedin, which is now technically owned by Microsoft.
Audio Engineering Topics To Consider:
- Learn Pro Tools – Free Trial
- Learn Ableton Live – Free Trial
- Learn Logic Pro – Free Trial
- Learn FL Studio – Free Trial
Pricing: There is a free trial available to check out the courses on the site. Afterward, you pay for a membership which gives you access to all of the courses. Membership plans range from $19.99 per month to $29.99 per month, depending on if you pay monthly or annually.
- Techniques for music composition
- Recording live instruments
- Techniques for music editing
- Learning about the music business
MasterClass has an impressive catalog of classes in a number of different categories. What sets MasterClass apart from some of the other online course providers is that they are taught by truly A-list celebrities who are masters of their craft.
MasterClass Courses To Consider:
Pricing: There isn’t a free trial available on MasterClass, but an all-access annual pass is only $180. Considering the level of the insight you will be getting from successful practitioners, you are getting great value from that plan.
Alternatively, if you are only looking to access one course, you have the option to buy direct access for $90.
- Classes/Courses taught by well-reconized industry professionals
- Available on Apple TV, Chrome Cast, Amazon Firestick & all mobile devices
5. Online Universities
Full Sail University
Full Sail is a popular option for students looking to advance their career in the field of audio engineering. They offer a number of different bachelor degree choices that can be earned 100% online.
- Music Business: $550 per credit hour
- Music Production: $700 per credit hour
- Recording Arts: $700 per credit hour
- Accelerated curriculum
- 100% online degrees
- Availability for on-campus options
- Accelerated curriculum
- 100% online degrees
- Availability for on-campus options
Berklee College of Music
Online.Berklee.edu, or the Berklee College of Music, offers several extensive courses that focus on audio engineering. These courses all last the duration of twelve weeks and are only offered during specific dates. This course can also be taken for college credit if you so choose.
Pricing: To take any of these courses for college credit, the price is $1,249.00 each. If you are not looking for any college credit, each course is $1,099.
Availability: Berklee College of Music has partnered with Coursera.org and has the following courses available that you can start for free with full access for 7 days. Here are the following courses available:
- Get Ableton training, Pro Tools training, Logic training, Cubase, and other recording software.
- Advanced audio ear training
- Audio mastering techniques
- Techniques for sampling
Coursera.org offers several courses on audio engineering as well as the specific software than can be used to record and manipulate audio. These courses are only available at specific times and are available at all times. When you complete a course, you earn a certification to go with your new knowledge.
Pricing: The price for any of the courses is $49.00 each.
- Music Production Specialization
- Electronic Music Production Specialization
- Pro Tools Basics
- The Art Of Music Production
- Introduction to electrical circuits
- Learn about acoustic resonance
- Techniques for effects analysis
- Learn about loudspeaker effects
BamAudioSchool.com has a variety of courses for those looking to learn more about audio engineering. These courses start out at the very basic level for those who are complete beginners and move up to more advanced topics for those that wish to further their knowledge.
Pricing: All of the courses and tutorials offered on this site are free.
- Learning about sound and technology
- Different audio production tools
- Learn recording techniques
- Learn about processing and effects
- Necessary knowledge for mixing
VTC.com offers numerous courses dedicated to learning about audio engineering. These courses go over everything that you would need to know about audio engineering in general, as well as courses for learning about specific components of the craft. If you are interested in learning about specific audio engineering software, there are also a variety of courses that go in-depth about uses and specifications.
Pricing: You are able to purchase courses individually for $79.95 each. You also have the option of purchasing a membership to the site, which allows you access to all of the available courses. Membership costs $30.00 per month.
- Learn about Cubase, Ableton, Logic Pro, Adobe Audition, and more
- Learn the fundamentals of MIDI
- How to record and edit audio on mobile devices
AskVideo.com has a large number of courses that would fit the needs of any type of person trying to learn about audio engineering. These courses start out with very basic knowledge, for the beginner user, and end with specific functions for your advanced user looking to expand their current knowledge.
Pricing: To download a single course the cost is $19.50. An alternative is purchasing a membership to the site, which gives you access to all of the available courses. Membership costs $25.00 per month.
- Learn about music theory
- All you need to know about MIDI
- Songwriting and production
- Software specific instruction
Dubspot.com has numerous courses that take a look at all the aspects that comprise audio engineering. There are also courses for specific software so that you can learn how to use audio engineering software effectively and efficiently.
Pricing: The prices of all of these courses vary, but the average is around $3,800.00.
- Setting up the music foundation
- Techniques for mixing and mastering
- Learning about the visual performance